The Right Solution For Your Business
Cumbria Waste Recycling specialise in waste and recycling solutions. We do this by optimising route collections and maximising recycling, tailoring packages for individual businesses.
Whatever the size of you business it is important that you are provided with the right solution for the collection and recycling or disposal of waste from your premises.
- Bin type and size – the bin supplied must be the right size to contain your waste, large enough so that sufficient waste is contained to allow the right collection frequency so as to minimise collection costs. The bin must also fit in with your premises’ requirements in terms of design, appearance and size. Click here to view container types and dimensions.
- Compaction of the waste – for producers of large waste volumes, on site compaction allows waste to be collected in loads of up to 10 tonnes per collection. For trade waste wheeled bin collections the compaction is on the vehicle allowing a large number of bin lifts per day.
- Landfill diversion - landfill tax currently stands at £48 per tonne and is set to increase at £8 per tonne per annum over the next 3 years, after which the rate of increase may well increase further. It is therefore imperative to maximise the diversion from landfill by recycling as much of your waste as possible. Landfill tax is of course not the only cost associated with landfilling wastes. There is also the actual cost of disposal of wastes at landfill.
- Recycling of wastes – CWR currently recycles over 40,000 tonne of waste each year. The key to efficient recycling is the correct presentation and collection method for the recyclable waste and finding recycling outlets for wastes that are not straightforward to recycle. Most recyclable materials have a value, add this to the landfill cost saving and recycling clearly makes financial sense.
Operational Safety and Legal Compliance
CWR takes all issues relating to Health & Safety very seriously.
We are accredited to the Occupational Health & Safety Assessment Series (OHSAS) 18001, which is a very demanding accreditation to be awarded and to retain.
CWR’s drivers are all formally trained and accredited to operate the specific category of lifting equipment used by the different types of collection vehicle. All driving and operational activities for which there is a potential hazard are risk assessed, and where required, a works instruction is put in place. All drivers and operatives involved in that specific operation are then formally instructed followed by regular refresher training.
Customer Site Risk Assessments
Regulation 3 of the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 states very clearly that employers must risk assess the impact of their activities upon others not in their employment – this includes customer employees and the general public.
In response to this legal obligation, CWR formally risk assesses each individual collection location at individual customer sites. The principle areas of risk assessed are as follows:
- Safe vehicle access and egress
- Proximity of collection and vehicle manoeuvring to likely pedestrian activity and sources of public activity such as schools, hospitals and public rights of way
- Overhead hazards such as cabling or power lines
- Workplace transport on the customer site such as forklift activity
- Suitability of ground conditions for bin lifting and vehicle manoeuvring
Materials for Recycling
The 40,000 tonnes per annum of waste recycled by CWR can be divided into the following categories of recyclable materials:
- Cardboard - CWR has outlets for a wide range of different board types. TFor example; Corrugated, Grey board, new or used boxes, Coloured Card, White Lined Chip, Printed or Unprinted and Scan Board.
We can also now recycle Tetrapak cartons too.
- Paper - Loose materials including news and pams, confidential waste for shredding and reels ends.
- Cans and Glass – Cans are collected as a mixed steel and aluminium blend. Glass can be collected in separated colours although CWR have the outlet for mixed colours for ease of collections.
- LDPE – pallet wrap, garment covers, sacks and bags
- Polypropylene – dumpy bags
- Polystyrene – expanded and in brick form
- Film rolls and reels – clear printed and multi-layered
- Mixed hard plastics – pallets, food trays, bottles, buckets and tubs
- Plasterboard – Clean plasterboard and contaminated or foil backed boards reprocessed
- Metal – separated fractions or mixed metal skips
- Wood – both high grade wood low grade reprocessed wood such as MDF can be recycled or blended for a power plant fuel.
- Green Garden Waste – collected and composted in our own facility. Outputs are belnede with peat product or bagged and sold as garden compost.
- Inert materials – soil, stone, concrete and rubble can all be recycled. Used to replace quarried materials at our own site at Hespin Wood.
- WEEE (hazardous and non-hazardous) – fridges, freezers, televisions, small domestic appliances, fluorescent tubes and IT equipment
- Asbestos – CWR can provide collection and disposal of Asbestos and Asbestos contaminated materials.
Contact us now for a free, no obligation assessment and quote.
Tel: 01228 515080 (CWR Carlisle) - 01900 605556 (CWR Workington)